This feature requires the gift card addon on your integration account
When using the Point of Sale integration, your sale workflow will remain mostly unchanged. The only differences will be seen when actually accepting a gift card - even then, changes are minimal.
1. Proceed through pre-payment as normal.
Ring up items, select a customer, apply discounts, etc. - this process remains unchanged.
2. Check the gift card balance prior to charging the card.
Checking the balance is highly recommended prior to running the card. If a gift card is run for an amount higher than the currently-stored balance on the card, the transaction will be declined for insufficient funds.
Click the PT-Gift Card Balance button on the left-hand side. When prompted, swipe the card. The balance currently stored on the card will be displayed.
3. Create a new gift card payment.
Click the Gift button at the bottom (and then Gift Card, if prompted). Then, confirm the amount to charge the card.
The card number input in the Gift Card Number field in QuickBooks is not used to adjust the card - it's only used for reporting purposes in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
A message mentioning that your QuickBooks Payments account is not connected is normal. This shows that your gift cards are not being processed by Intuit Merchant Services, and will be processed by our service.
4. Swipe the gift card when prompted on the integration screen.
Follow along with these prompts. If desired, you can also key-in the gift card number by hand.
If the card is run for more than the stored amount (as per the step above), the transaction will decline for insufficient funds.
5. Verify that payment was captured.
It's important to verify that the transaction completed successfully before saving the receipt. Look for the following information:
- An authorization number should be visible in the notes field.
- Checking the PT-History or PT-Activity screen should show a successful payment.
If any of the following occurs, the transaction was not processed:
- No notes/authorization number in the notes field on the receipt
- No signature line/authorization number on the receipt
- A message is show mentioning that "The transaction has been cancelled. Please remove the payment from QBPOS and start again."
- A processing error screen appears.
- A dialog appears mentioning the card was not processed, and/or that the card was declined.
If any of these occur, remove the transaction from the receipt by clicking on the Gift button, and click the Remove button next to the applicable payment.
For a quick reference card on if a transaction has been processed, refer to the attached PDF.
6. Save and print the receipt.
Save the receipt by clicking the Save (or Save & Print) button in the bottom left. If prompted, click OK to print off a second copy of the printed receipt.
To cancel the transaction, click the Cancel button, and click the Void button on the Authorize Void prompt.