When using the Point of Sale integration, your sale workflow will remain mostly unchanged. The only differences will be seen when actually accepting a credit card - even then, changes are minimal.
1. Proceed through pre-payment as normal.
Ring up items, select a customer, apply discounts, etc. - this process remains unchanged.
2. Create a new credit card payment.
Click the Credit button at the bottom. Then, select the type of card the customer will be paying with.
The type of card selected in this dialog does not affect processing or rates/fees in any way - it's only used for reporting purposes in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
A message mentioning that your QuickBooks Payments account is not connected is normal. This shows that your credit cards are not being processed by Intuit Merchant Services, and should be processed by your credit card processor.
3. Follow along with the prompts.
Depending on your workstation, your workstation may prompt for additional information, including CVV/AVS information, or send the transaction to a compatible EMV device. Follow along with these prompts.
4. Verify that payment was captured.
It's important to verify that the transaction completed successfully before saving the receipt. Look for the following information:
- An authorization number should be visible in the notes field.
- Checking the PT-History or PT-Activity screen should show a successful payment.
- If using an EMV device, the device must mention that the transaction was approved/successful.
If any of the following occurs, the transaction was not processed:
- No notes/authorization number in the notes field on the receipt
- No signature line/authorization number on the receipt
- A message is show mentioning that "The transaction has been cancelled. Please remove the payment from QBPOS and start again."
- A processing error screen appears.
- A dialog appears mentioning the card was not processed, and/or that the card was declined.
If any of these occur, remove the transaction from the receipt by clicking on the Credit button, and click the Remove button next to the applicable payment.
5. Save and print the receipt.
Save the receipt by clicking the Save (or Save & Print) button in the bottom left. If prompted, click OK to print off a second copy of the printed receipt.
To cancel the transaction, click the Cancel button, and click the Void button on the Authorize Void prompt.