Installing the Payment Terminal is a relatively-quick process, and can be completed in the span of about 15 minutes per workstation.
Before installation, please ensure you have the following:
- A supported version of QuickBooks
Please refer to our software compatibility guide for more details.
- A workstation/server running a compatible operating system.
Refer to our workstation/server guide for more details.
- A working internet connection.
Needed at each workstation you'll be installing, to initialize the software.
- Integration credentials from your merchant services provider
These will be needed for each merchant account you'll be connecting.
This includes Company ID, Store Key, and User ID.
- Access to the QuickBooks Admin account
This will be needed in each company file you'll be using, though only for the first launch of the integration. If you're using a single-user environment, your sole user is the Admin user.
- Windows Administrator permissions on each workstation you'll be installing
This is needed to install software and make system modifications. If you are unsure you have these permissions, ask your local IT Provider.
- Close all instances of QuickBooks running on the computer. This includes QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Point of Sale, and any other QuickBooks-branded product.
- Download a copy of both QBFC (QuickBooks File Connector), and PTSetup.exe (the Payment Terminal Installer) from the QuickBooks Desktop Download Page.
- Run the QBFC installer, by opening the downloaded QBFC executable.
- If you know that QBFC is already installed on this workstation, or the QBFC installer reports this, this can be skipped without issue.
- Depending on the workstation, the installer may prompt for a reboot after the installation is complete. If so, reboot before continuing.
- Run the Payment Terminal installer (PTSetup.exe). Please pay attention to all prompts shown.
- The installer may prompt for some prerequisite software, including .NET frameworks and required updates. If so, rebooting is recommended before continuing.
- The Payment Terminal is now installed, and can be found on the Start Menu and Desktop - proceed to the next section.
After installation, the Payment Terminal will need to be configured - once per company file and workstation. Follow the below steps - once per company file you'll be connecting to the Payment Terminal, once per workstation using the Payment Terminal, and once per User ID using the Payment Terminal.
- Open your QuickBooks company file as the Admin user.
- Your QuickBooks Admin user may have been renamed - however, they can be identified by the text (admin) next to their name in the Users and Roles list. Note that this cannot be a user with delegated roles/permissions - the Admin user has special non-delegatable/assignable permissions, which we need here.
- Launch the Payment Terminal.
- QuickBooks will display a dialog titled QuickBooks - Application Certificate. Click the Yes, whenever this company file is open radio button, and the Allow this application to access personal data checkbox at the bottom, then click OK.
- The QuickBooks company file is now configured for the Payment Terminal plugin - proceed to the per-workstation setup.
- This procedure will need to be repeated for each QuickBooks company file that will be connected to the Payment Terminal.
- Open your QuickBooks company file as your standard user account.
- The Admin account is not necessary for this step, assuming the per-company configuration has been completed.
- Launch the Payment Terminal.
- The Payment Terminal will prompt for settings/credentials. In the Connections menu, enter in a display name for this merchant account, your Payment Terminal integration credentials (Company ID, Store Key, and User ID), and Country, and click Save.
- Click on the Performance tab on the left, and check Server Installation.
- This step is only necessary if the Payment Terminal is installed on a remote desktop server (e.g. Remote Desktop, Terminal Server, or Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop/etc.)
- This workstation has been configured to connect to this merchant account - proceed to per User ID configuration.
- This procedure will need to be completed for each merchant account on this workstation.
Depending on user/company preference, additional setup may be required. Refer to the Configuration pages listed here for more information on configuring the Payment Terminal.